Friday 29 June 2012

[Rib] Caged Heart

Again, I apologize for the less than stellar photo quality. I think I got my thumb, or the shadow of my thumb on the bottom left corner, oops. I absolutely need to find some better way to upload these pictures. I have finally finished the picture after much painstaking shading, much painstaking emotion, and much reflection. 

This was inspired by Beauty and the Beast with the enchanted rose in the glass jar. However, I put a slight twist where the rib cage is the container, and the heart for the enchanted rose. As time passes, the heart deteriorates and pieces drift off. I think its truly fitting as when the heart continues to deteriorate, one will truly be doomed to a beast's fate. 

I finished up today by adding the petals, doing some touch ups on the heart, fixing minor details on the nervous system and adding an extremely light blue by mixing a Cerulean Blue Hue with Chinese White with quite a bit of water to soften the colour. I guess it really isn't visible in the photo, but the light blue balances out the Yellow Ochre and Crimson Red and brings out the falling petals a little better. 

Now I am curious as to how the picture would have looked if I decided to use a red rose instead of a heart. I used a heart this time because I wanted to say that love withers and not "beauty or grace" withers. However, this did not turn out as visually appealing as I imagined it to be so, I have decided to start over. But, that will have to wait because I have a stretched 19"x26" stretched page waiting for me. 


Cheers, 
TinyArtist

No comments:

Post a Comment